Adventure Fishing in Ontario

Adventure Fishing in Ontario
click on logo to visit our website

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Steelhead Gods are smiling again!

It was long time coming, but we finally got out again for some winter steelhead fishing on the Niagara.  The day was beautiful, +3C with sun all day.  There was a bitter E wind just to remind us that it was still winter but the sun made it feel more like +10C.  The morning was slow and we never saw any fish where we started out at Pebbley.  Around noon we decided to make our way upriver toward the Glen, and it was at this point that I noticed the fish had begun to get slightly active around the surface.  We fished the tailout section of a long 17' deep run, and on the second drift my partner hooked up with the smallest steelie I'd ever seen pulled from the mighty Niagara River.  But hey, it's a start!!  We kept moving upstream fishing all the pockets and deeper runs as we came upon them.  I spotted a real slow run of about a 50 metres in length and decided to set up shop there.  On the third drift my float did the super slow sink as it does on all telltale snags, so I gave it a quick rip back in the direction it had drift from.  Oh what is this, the snag fought back!!
I landed this hearty buck after a very lacklustre battle.



The drift kept changing speeds from very slow, to dead stopped but we persisted.  Two drifts after my fish, Ben nails another buck just slighty larger than the one I caught.



We fished for about another hour and I lost one fish about the same as these two.  The sun had now left our side of the river and the temps started to drop quickly, so we decided to weave our way back up and out of the Gorge.
Not a stellar day by any means but hey, it was great just to be out on a gorgeous winters day and catch fish.

til next time, Good Fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment